Most Active Stories
- Le Show For The Week Of Mar. 15, 2015
- Machete-Wielding Man Attacks TSA Agents At Louis Armstrong Airport, Is Shot By Police
- Peter Sagal Says New Orleans Is The Best — And He'll Show Us A Great Time Thursday Night
- The Irish Have Been Part Of New Orleans From The Beginning
- Argo The Police Dog Forces Carjacking Suspect Hiding Inside Cemetery Tomb To Surrender
Mon January 27, 2014
Former Mayor Nagin's Trial Set For Today
Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin is scheduled to appear in federal court later this morning on corruption charges. Nagin is accused of taking bribes in exchange for city contracts.
The former mayor is facing 21 charges in an indictment filed a year ago.
Nagin was in office when Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005. He saw his popularity plunge as storm recovery stalled.
Prosecutors say he took free vacations and more than $200,000 in bribes from businessmen in exchange for city and personal business. Some of those associates and his former chief technology officer have already pleaded guilty and are expected to testify for the prosecution.
Nagin has kept a low profile since leaving office in 2010. He moved to a suburb of Dallas.