Most Active Stories
- Fazendeville, the town razed to make way for the Chalmette National Monument
- Photo Gallery: 2015 New Orleans Comic Con
- Le Show For The Week Of Jan. 11, 2015
- Electric car company Tesla Motors expanding number of charging stations in Louisiana
- Tickets Now On Sale For Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! — March 12, 2015 At The Saenger Theatre
Wed November 27, 2013
Dangerous Cold Weather Prompts Activation Of City Freeze Plan
The City of New Orleans activated its Freeze Plan for the homeless today, in advance of wintry weather that will affect the region Wednesday and Thursday nights.
Weather forecasts indicate temperatures and wind chill factors will dip to 35 degrees or lower on the nights of Nov. 27 and 28, Mayor Mitch Landrieu's office said in a press release. Since exposure to near freezing temperatures and strong winds can cause serious health problems, the city will assist local institutions in providing shelter free of charge.
Shelter will be available at the following locations, under the conditions specified:
- The Salvation Army, 4530 South Claiborne Avenue — will accept males and females beginning at 4:00 p.m.
- Ozanam Inn, 843 Camp Street — will accept males only beginning at 4:00 p.m.
- Covenant House, 611 North Rampart Street — will accept males and females between the ages 16-21, their dependent children, and any female with dependent minor children. Mothers with small children may come anytime.
- New Orleans Mission, 1130 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd. — will only accept male or female adults beginning at 4:30 p.m.