Most Active Stories
- Le Show For July 20, 2014
- Jazz Composer Jerome Theriot Celebrates New Release; Cat On A Hot Tin Roof; Hurray For The Riff Raff
- Fishermen And Retailers Go High-Tech For Authentic Gulf Seafood
- State Representative In New Orleans East Sounds Call Over Coastal Erosion
- Short-Term Rental Stakeholders All Agree On One Thing: Current Law Inadequate
Assumption Parish Sinkhole
Mon March 11, 2013
Brockovich Takes On Sinkhole Case
Environmental activist Erin Brockovich says Assumption Parish residents whose homes are threatened by a huge sinkhole should sue the owners of a failed salt dome cavern believed to have caused the sinkhole.
The Advocate reports that Brockovich told Bayou Corne residents at a meeting in Pierre Part that legal action is their only chance of relief.
About 350 people have been evacuated since early August, when the sinkhole appeared. It has kept growing since then.
At least 50 homeowners have retained Thomas Girardi, who works with Brockovich and also spoke to the gathering.
Brockovich said afterward that Bayou Corne residents contacted her shortly after the sinkhole appeared, and recently invited her to speak to them in Louisiana.