Associated Press

Pages

Latest News
4:53 pm
Mon July 28, 2014

New Orleans To Host Top Travel Trade Show In 2016

New Orleans will host the largest travel industry show in North America in 2016.
Maitri Flickr

New Orleans will host the largest travel industry show in North America in 2016.

The U.S. Travel Association's show, called IPW, was last held in New Orleans in 2002.

The group had planned to hold the five-day show in Greater Miami and The Beaches. However, the City of Miami Beach Commission decided to renovate and expand its convention center. The three-year project is scheduled to start next year.

Association President and CEO Roger Dow says it's a great reason to have to change venues, and he's sure the organization will return to Miami Beach after the expansion.

Latest News
7:46 am
Mon July 28, 2014

St. Tammany Hospital Says It Hired District Attorney Reed

There’s more controversy surrounding the work duties of St. Tammany District Attorney Walter Reed.

Hospital board records contradict Reed's statements that he had a personal contract with St. Tammany Parish Hospital.

The board's records show it authorized a $30,000-a-year retainer as an agreement with the public office, not Reed himself.

Reed's spokesman, Morgan Stewart, says the documents may be incomplete.

He says former board chairman Paul Cordes asked Reed in the mid-1990s to personally represent the board. Cordes died in 2005.

Read more
Latest News
4:02 pm
Fri July 25, 2014

First West Nile Death Of The Year Reported In Caddo Parish

Caddo Parish reports the first death in Louisiana this year from the mosquito-borne West Nile Virus.
James Jordan Flickr

Louisiana health officials say a Caddo Parish resident has died from the West Nile virus.

The individual who died was between 60 and 74 years old. Martha Whyte, public health chief in northwest Louisiana, told the Shreveport Times she could not provide other information, citing confidentiality rules.

Latest News
3:53 pm
Fri July 25, 2014

In Plaquemines, $5.9 Million Of Katrina Loan Forgiven

The federal government has canceled $5.9 million in disaster loans given to Plaquemines Parish after Hurricane Katrina.
cmh2315fl Flickr

The federal government has canceled $5.9 million in disaster loans given to Plaquemines Parish after Hurricane Katrina.

Parish President Billy Nungesser says the action was taken by the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Nungesser says the parish now must repay the remaining $3 million of $8.9 million in special community disaster loans it received after the 2005 storm.

Nungesser says he plans to try to get the remaining amount forgiven.

Latest News
8:11 am
Thu July 24, 2014

New Footage Of Sunken WWII Vessels In Gulf

A side-scan sonar image of the German U-boat U-166 in 2001, on the Gulf floor approximately 50 miles southeast of New Orleans.
Credit National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

Scientists are getting a crystal-clear look at two historic vessels almost a mile deep in the Gulf of Mexico.

Pictures were taken from a pair of mini-subs tethered to explorer Robert Ballard’s vessel — the Nautilus.

They show small holes in a lifeboat that may have gone down with a passenger ship sunk in 1942 by a Nazi submarine. Or, it may have been scuttled after passengers and crew were rescued.

Interpretations differ.

Read more
Latest News
8:08 am
Thu July 24, 2014

Bollinger Shipyards Gets Major Coast Guard Contract

Detail of the Coast Guard's Sentinel-class Fast Response Cutter, produced at Bollinger Shipyards.
Credit U.S. Coast Guard

Bollinger Shipyards has been awarded a $255 million contract to build six more Fast Response Cutters for the U.S. Coast Guard.

The New Orleans Advocate reports the funding brings the total number of the boats under contract with Lockport-based Bollinger to 30.

The contract's total value so far is more than $1.3 billion.

Democratic U-S Senator Mary Landrieu says the latest funding is part almost $9 billion in discretionary funding allocated to the Coast Guard in the Department of Homeland Security's budget for fiscal year 2014.

Read more
Latest News
8:06 am
Wed July 23, 2014

Funeral Services Set For Jazz Musician Lionel Ferbos

Lionel Ferbos.
Credit Infrogmation / Flickr

Funeral services are planned for Lionel Ferbos — the 103-year-old New Orleans jazz trumpeter and tinsmith who died July 19.

Ferbos will be buried August 2 — the same weekend the Satchmo Summerfest celebrates the legacy of another New Orleans trumpeter, Louis Armstrong.

Charbonnet Labat Funeral Home will host a wake for Ferbos on August 1 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Visitation is from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. on August 2 at Corpus Christi Epiphany Catholic Church.

NOLA.com/The Times-Picayune reports Archbishop Gregory Aymond will preside over a funeral Mass at Corpus Christi.

Read more
Latest News
4:27 pm
Tue July 22, 2014

National WWII Museum Welcomes 4 Millionth Visitor

Visitation at The National WWII Museum for fiscal year 2014 exceeded 483,000.
Janaya Williams WWNO

The National WWII Museum has capped a record-breaking fiscal year with another milestone: welcoming its four-millionth visitor since its founding in 2000.

Officials say visitation for fiscal year 2014 had exceeded 483,000, beating its previous best attendance year, fiscal year 2013, by more than 85,000 visitors.

Read more
Latest News
4:18 pm
Tue July 22, 2014

United Houma Nation Gets Support For Federal Recognition

The Terrebonne Parish Council has passed a resolution in support of the United Houma Nation receiving federal recognition.
Jonathan McIntosh / Rainforest Action Network Flickr

The Terrebonne Parish Council has passed a resolution in support of the United Houma Nation receiving federal recognition.

The Courier reports the council also asked the administrations of the Biloxi-Chitimacha-Choctaw and the Pointe-au-Chien tribes to submit necessary documents to receive similar council measures of support.

Potential policy shifts in the federal Department of the Interior may open the door for area Native American tribes to achieve federal recognition.

Read more
Latest News
7:30 am
Mon July 14, 2014

Murder Suspect Arrested In Texas; 3 Children Safe

A suburban New Orleans man wanted in death of a woman found bludgeoned to death in her bathtub has been arrested in Texas and the three children he disappeared with have been found.

Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies say in a news release 43-year-old Pedro Alberto Monterroso-Navas, of Metairie, was arrested in a trailer park in Katy, Texas, late Sunday night. He faces a second-degree murder charge.

Col. John Fortunato, a sheriff's office spokesman, says his three children who were with him at the time of his arrest are safe.

Read more

Pages